1. Look out: To be watchful or careful; take care
Quan sát xung quanh một cách cẩn thận, cẩn trọng.
Ví dụ: If you don't look out, you may fall on the ice. We looked out for each other on the trip.
2. Look up: To search for and find, as in a reference book
Tra cứu, tìm kiếm trong sách vở, sách tham khảo, từ điển...
Ví dụ: I didn’t know what ‘loquacious’ meant and had to look it up in a dictionary.
3. Look into: To inquire into; investigate
Điều tra, xem xét
Ví dụ: The police looked into the disturbance.
4. Look over: to examine someone or something
Chấm bài, kiểm tra cái gì, đánh giá một ai đó
Ví dụ: I think you had better have the doctor look you over.
- Please look over these papers.
5. Look through: to gaze through something
Nhìn xuyên qua cái gì đó
Ví dụ: Look through the window at what the neighbors are doing.
- Look through the binoculars and see if you can get a better view.
6. Look after: To take care of
Trông nom ai, cái gì
Ví dụ: I need someone dependable to look after the children while I'm at work.
7. Look away to turn one's gaze away from someone
Hướng cái nhìn ra chỗ khác hoặc khỏi ai đó.
Ví dụ: She looked away from him, not wishing her eyes to give away her true feelings.
8. Look for:
- To search for; seek : tìm kiếm
Ví dụ: Looking for my gloves.
- To expect: hy vọng, kỳ vọng
Ví dụ: Look for a change of weather in March.
9. Look around to walk around a room, building, or place and see what is there
Nhìn quanh, đi quanh phòng để nhìn
Ví dụ: Do you want to look around the school?
10. look down on: regard (someone) with a feeling of superiority, with contempt.
Nhìn ai, cái gì với sự coi khinh, đặt bản thân cao hơn ai đó
Ví dụ: The new neighbor looks down on us because our house is very modest.